Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tournaments and the family

I was talking to a friend of mine the other and we ended up chatting about fishing tournaments. He asked me how come I never fish at any tournaments besides the small ones here locally. I thought about it for a moment, the real and true reason I don't is sitting out in my back yard with his fishing pole learning how. A sad smile curled into my lips as I leaned back in my chair and sighed softly. "Well I'm a mom. And to actually get on the pro circuit and be good, you have to fish a lot of these smaller ones."

When I say a lot that means about 100 for the year. I couldn't be away from my son that long. I don't see how the pros can do it and be away from their families. And their wives/girlfriends.. I don't know how they can do it. I mean it would drive me crazy, but I guess if I dated someone in the sport, I'd learn to deal with it too. But how well I would handle it, I am not sure.

They're gone to about 100 tournaments a year for the small circuit just to get to the big leagues. So we're talking minor leagues here. What do you do, I mean it has to be hard, there is no other way around it. When you're with someone you look forward to coming home at the end of a long day and having them there. Being able to curl up next to them in bed. The little things, but all of that won't really be there while they're gone. I mean right now if I had to I could do it, because I'm a single mom and I've been able to do that for seven years next month.

But for people who are married and have kids. How do they deal? I mean sure they can travel some, but what about while the kids are in school? Missing first born child's first steps? Missing big mile stones? It has to be tough on both sides. My hat goes off to the men and women who can do this and get through. Because to me it seems down right hard. Then again life isn't easy and never will be.

To the significant others of these Pro's, my hat goes off to you. Because I know you cherish what time you have with your partner.  I know it has to be hard, but I know you do it. For that you have all my respect. Because being away from my kid, I don't think I could do it like y'all do.  But if it came down to someone I truly love having to be gone for that long, I'd do it. Because I know true love doesn't come around that often. And you need to do what ever you can to make it work.

~AJ Thomas
Because I'm a mom

No comments:

Post a Comment